Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My take on Nexttrade postings!

One of my regular readers recently told me that he did not see anything interesting in my blog over the past few months. He asked why I did not make more buy calls given the bullishness in the market. I explained that I was not comfortable with the market but he told me that the name of my blog being 'nexttrade' should have plenty of recommendations on what to trade. I was lost for words.

However, this is not the first time that I hibernated when the market is too high for my liking. I was relatively quiet in the second half of 2007 when I felt that the market was too frothy. Then, an idea hit me. What if I were to tabulate the number of postings in my blog & compare it to FBM-KLCI. Would my sub-conscious feeling tell me something about the state of the market?

Before I give my 'analysis' of the chart below, I will readily admit that this is not a serious study. My postings is pretty subjective & it is governed by my market outlook & my ability to spot a change of price direction in the market & the stocks. Since I have never given any thoughts to a possible connection between market outlook & my postings until now, the element of subjectiveness is not excessive. I can't say the same for future usage of this study since I am now somewhat aware of this connection and the element of objectiveness is lost. Below, I have appended a composite chart of FBM-KLCI & the number of monthly postings from July 2007 until January 2011.



Chart: FBM-KLCI's weekly chart & Nexttrade's monthly postings (overlaid with 4-month WMA & the 10-month SMA).

These are my observations:
1) The number of postings jumped to 40-50 per months after the market has peaked or bottomed (see point 1, 2 & 3). These could be due to follow-up posting to re-inforce the new market direction.

2) The number of postings remained fairly high when the market is in an uptrend (after point 1 & 3) but the number of postings declined to a minimal level when the market is in a downtrend (after point 2). The higher number of posting in a bull market is quite normal & one would find very little to write in a bear market.

3) The number of postings hit a low before the market peaked (see point A). I must have been ahead of the market & called a top prematurely. The top came later at point A1. Is the same scenario playing out again at point C & C1?

4) I have also plotted the 4-month Weighted Moving Average (WMA) & 10-month Simple Moving Average (SMA). It is interesting to see that at point A1 & B when the 4-month WMA cut above the 10-month SMA, the market direction changed. Now, the 4-month WMA is poised to cut above the 10-month SMA again. If that were to happen, are we about to see a change in the market direction?

Before I end this post, I would remind everyone to take my above comments with a table spoon of salt!

6 comments:

Raymond Y said...

Hi, What u think about Genting SP shares?

limko said...

Thanks for all the alerts posted so far. By not posting that frequently is an alert in itself

ck said...

Oh, it's such a coincidence! Ha!

Alex Lu said...

Hi Raymond Y

Genting SP reported a poor set of results for 4Q2010. Its net profit from continuing operation was S$92 mil for 4Q2010 compared to full-year of S$657 mil. After deducting losses from discontinued operation of S$242 mil, it reported a net loss of S$150 mil for 4Q2010 compared to a small net profit of S$38 mil for the full year.

Chartwise, Genting SP has formed a short-term downtrend with lower 'high' & lower 'low' in place. Its immediate support is at S$1.85 while its immediate resistance is at S$1.95. It's now trading at S$1.92 [after an intra-day low of S$1.88].

leslieroycarter said...

Hi Alex:
No comment is a good indicator to take rest...

lai said...

Hi Alex,

will you do the same for this period too?

Thanks.